Sunday 1 December 2013

Thinking about dialogue

1. i. Where did you go?
Chelsea and I orginally went in the office to eavesdrop on the students that came in the office but then we went back to the classroom and I started eavesdropping just a small conversation in the classroom.

ii. How long did you listen to the conversation?
I listened and recorded the conversation for about around ten to fifteen minutes.

iii. Who was it between?
The conversation started between just three students in the classroom then it became more students and even the teacher involved.

iii. How did it feel to be recording the conversation?
I felt weird and rebellious because I felt like it wasn't right to be eavesdropping on the conversation. I also felt this way because I found some of the conversation a bit personal.

2. What insights did you gain about the way people speak?
The insights I gained about the way people speak are that some people say certain words a lot like "like" and every person has a different word that they say a lot. I learned that some people speak with more confidence then others while some people are kind of uncertain about what they are saying. I learned that with some people you can't really tell if they are being sarcastic or not. I also learned that some people talk over people and speak a lot louder then other people. I learned that some people speak faster then other people making it harder to understand what they are saying.

3. How can you apply this to your writing?
I can apply this to my writing by when I'm talking about someone that is speaking I could be more descriptive on how they are saying it. If they are saying it quickly, loud, over people or with confidence etc. I can also apply this to my writing by giving characters more personality just with how they communicate with people by describing that very throughly. I can also apply this to my writing by adding something like writing that this person interrupted the conversation and going more in depth on how this conversation is going.

4. How is personality and character revealed through conversation/dialogue?
You can tell that personality and character is revealed through conversation/dialogue because if someone interrupts someone in a conversation they could come off as being rude. You can also tell by someones voice what mood they are in or if they are saying it quietly they could come off as being a very shy person. On the other hand, if a person is talking very loudly they could come off as being very confident.

5. What happens when more then two people participate in a conversation?
When more then two people participate in a conversation, people tend to interrupt other people or speak over people. When more then two people participate in a conversation, it's also harder to understand what people are saying and record them when you are eavesdropping. When more then two people participate in a conversation it's also harder for the people in the conversation to give everyone in that conversation equal attention.

6. What's the most surprising thing you've  learned about the way people converse?
The most surprising thing I have learned about the way people converse is that how much you can learn about a person's personality and character just only from fifteen minutes of eavesdropping into their conversation with their friends.

7. What are the differences and similarities between written and spoken conversations?
The differences between written and spoken conversations are that in spoken conversations people interrupt one another a lot and in written authors don't usually describe every time someone interrupts someone or the tone they use every time. The similarities between written and spoken conversations is that they both reveal the character in the person and their personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment